navigation: home | activity search | castell de sant nicolau
Castell de Sant Nicolau
Click here for full specification
This coastal defence tower was designed by the engineer Jose de Castellon in 1680 but the actual design corresponds to the plan drawn up by the Spanish military engineer Blas Zappino in 1872.The most recent restoration was carried out in 1990 by the arcitect Joachin Mayans Carretero, commissioned by the Town Hall of Ciutadella that owns the tower.The interior of the castle has a vaulted ceiling with one central column.This is where the provisions, arms and gunpowder were stored and was the soldiers quarters.
A spiral staircase leads from this area to the terrace and a small tower which was used as a lookout post.
The terrace was used as an attack area that had the canons that are now found in front of the tower on it.
||CHeck times locally